Built in 1798, Old Town Hall functioned as the center of political and social activities during the height of Wilmington’s mercantile-milling economy. The handsome Federal-style structure housed the city’s meeting chambers, offices and jail and served as the headquarters and gathering place of civic organizations and included a subscription library. The death of George Washington was observed there in 1799, as were receptions and dinners for the Marquis de Lafayette and President Andrew Jackson. Henry Clay’s body was laid in state there in 1852. Old Town Hall, restored to its classical beauty, provides space for exhibitions, programs and special events throughout the year.
Image from https://inwilmingtonde.com/places/old-town-hall